Saturday, April 25, 2009

Day 28- Into Virginia




This was a day of gratitude - eastern West Virginia has some of the most beautiful scenery we had yet seen... but it was outdone by western Virginia. Beautiful farms with rolling hills, cattle grazing, silos and barns being reclaimed by the weeds and grasses overtaking their previous spots on the landscape...fields of wildflowers...bright sunshine with a few very white clouds scattered here and there...summer temperatures. I felt a wave of gratitude; thankful that I was able to see these wonderful things; grateful for the opportunity to travel these roads...exposing young people to the wonders of the Pacific and motivating them to act to preserve their local waters.

The day started with a visit to the Clay Center for the Arts and Sciences in Charleston, WV. They were celebrating Earth Day and several organizations had exhibits there. (The masked figure in the photo is part of a sculpture outside the Center.)

We then headed for Virginia. Even when we experienced a flat tire I had a chance to be grateful...Bob was there to change it. (I helped, a little.) See the photo - well, someone had to document the event. Even when we found out that the tire could not be repaired, I was grateful. (I'm still not over my credit limit and could afford to buy a new one.)

And finally, I'm grateful that VMI was having a reunion of the Class of '69 and there were no rooms available in Lexington, VA because we wound up in Staunton (pronounced Stanton), VA a beautiful little town with a Bistro with the best food I've had on this trip (except for the home made crab cakes that Maggie Dearnley cooked for me in Little Rock).

But even Staunton has graffiti...See top photo.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment